Saturday, May 9, 2009

SG TRI 2009

6:00 am- Alarm went off and I'm out of bed. We rounded up our gear, choked down a Clif bar, loaded the car, and we were on our way to Sand Hollow. It was extremely cold and windy that morning. We arrived at the race and began to set-up our transition area. The wind didn't stop. The race officials waited, but eventually decided to cancel the swim. I was so disappointed. I felt all my swimming training was a waste. They then announced that in replace of the swim, we would be running the course twice... therefore, run-bike-run. I was nervous, considering my running training was the most neglected. But, adrenaline kicked-in and I knew I had to go for it. The race began and wind startled to settle. The first run went well. It was in rugged terrain and sand, but I got through it fairly easily. I felt slower on the bike, especially on the hill (it was long and brutal), but the last 7 miles felt great! I was nervous for the second run, not knowing how I would hold up, but it wasn't as difficult as I thought. The sun was beating down, my legs were tired, but my body felt good and I had the drive to finish strong. There's nothing like crossing the finish line and feeling so triumphant! Our hard work and training paid off and it felt awesome.

We had the greatest fans!

The gear

A "good luck" squeeze...

Me & Kal

Run #1

Transition to bike

Finish Line!

Kallie... #1 female-sprint-ages 25-29

Me & Madi... ah sweet victory

The Whole Crew
Madi, Kal, John, Me, Kristin, Tanner, Weston, Sara
(Justin not picture)


The Triple D's

Sisters

Congrats to everybody! Let's do it again. Thanks to everyone who supported me along the way.

8 comments:

Kandyce said...

Hey Katie, I don't know if you remember me, Kandyce (Cameron) from KJH and DHS, but I found your blog through Ashley and Blair's links. It's soo good to see that you're doing well, and all that you're doing today. I love the blogging world...keeps soo many people connected. Hope you don't mind if I stop by your blog from time to time. :) Hope you're having a great weekend!

Kandyce

Bryan and Allie said...

Chase and his "wondering hands." haha. It's fun to see these pics! You look so TINY!!! Come down to TX and train me for a tri! :)

Congrats on a job well down!!

Tibett said...

Great job, Katie! Looks like you all did so well, and had a fun trip, too!

Marci + Dan said...

Congrats! What an amazing experience.

Andrus Family said...

What do you mean you are jealous of long distance runners?...you are one! Way to go! Maybe one day I'll have a body like yours! Congrats!

Mindy & Matt said...

Nice girl..way to go!! They need to do something about that race, re-locate or something. The wind is freaking ridiculous. They had to cancel it last year too! Way to battle through it, I know how hard it is to ride a bike and run on sand w/ head winds the whole time!! Good work sista!!!

Jessica... a.k.a... Frank. said...

Wait, so where was this? And I am training for a triatholon when I get home. Do you have suggestions or tips on exactly how I should train? I have one I'm doing in September. But I want to do one with you one day, I think it'd be fun. !

Olivia Jewell said...

Congrats girly!! I would have started crying if they told me I had to do the run twice, so good for you.