Monday, May 17, 2010

DIY: Cake Plates

I've been feeling a little crafty lately.  I have so many projects lined up, I can't wait. First on the list, and just in time for mother's day, was custom cake/dessert plates.  They're super easy to make, not to mention inexpensive, and darling!  Plus, I love giving gifts that are handmade! Here's the how to:

Supplies Needed:
Base (candlesticks, vases, etc... I love the D.I. and garage sales)
Plate or dish
Epoxy glue (I use E6000 I found at Robert's Craft store)
Sandpaper

Remove any stickers from the bottom of your plate.  Trace the base on the bottom of the plate.  Using sandpaper, rough-up where the base will be glued.  Add a layer of glue along the edge of the base.  Let set for a few minutes, then adhere base to plate.  Let sit for at least 24 hours.

That's it!

Our mom's loved the plates and yummy cupcakes to go with it.  I even made a few plates for myself... 

6 comments:

Jessica & Ryan said...

ok. those plates are gorgeous. they look like something that could be sold at anthropologie.

Bryan and Allie said...

Super cute and easy! Thanks for sharing. May have to keep my eyes out for cute plates/bases.

lur said...

My daughter has gone crafty. Wonder where she got that from? Loved my polka-dot cake stand. Very fun Mothers Day gift.
Thanks again.
Now we will shopping D.I.,Savers, etc. for bargains!

Hale-O There said...

Those plates are fabulous, I saw Shelly at the gym today and she said she loves hers. Thanks for teaching me how, they turned out darling.

Marci Joy said...

These turned out soo darling! I can see all the entertaining possibilities now...

Lacey Jay said...

How cute! I love them! What a fun idea...