My mom decided months ago to follow a prompting and sign-up for an individual cancer policy through Aflac. She didn't know she had cancer. She just felt that with her age and family history, it was probably a good decision... you know, just in case. Shortly afterwards, she discovered a lump in her left breast. She's had lumps before, all of which ended up being cysts. Thankfully she was proactive and scheduled a mammogram. The mammogram has some "suspicious" areas, so a biopsy was ordered. The biopsy was conducted, and sure enough, the tissue came back as cancerous. After an MRI and analysis, it was determined that the tumor was approximately 7cm and showing aggressive signs. After meeting with many doctors and accessing her case, it was determined chemotherapy would need to begin immediately, followed by surgery, then radiation.
I finally broke down the other night. I had just hung up the phone with her and she had been crying and talking a lot about her mortality and goals she still had and things she still wanted to do. But she also talked about seeing her parents and sister again and many others who have passed on. It was such a strange conversation to have with your mother! A mother who was "healthy" and unaware just a few weeks prior. After our conversation, I kneeled by the edge of the bed and wept in prayer. I wept some more in bed, while Chase held me and talked to me. It had finally hit me. I still get choked up thinking about the dark side of cancer and losing my mother.
Since that night, however, I have felt positive. She followed a prompting. She took the initiative to get checked out. She did everything in her power to discover this and move forward. My focus has changed from the news that she has cancer, to how can I help her (and our entire family) get through this trial. How can I be a strength for her? How can I ease the pains of chemo... of losing hair... of losing the energy to do much of anything?
I think the key is simply being there when she needs me. To cry with. Laugh with. Reminisce with. Whatever it may be, I'll be there. Mom, I'm here for you. Always.
4 comments:
Katie, I am so so sorry to hear about this challenge that your mom and your family is facing. I have tears in my eyes after reading this post. I know your family has a lot of love and closeness. And STRENGTH. Strength together. You guys will be in my prayers, especially your brave mom. Sending my love to you. Please don't hesitate if I can do ANYTHING for you!
Oh so sorry Katie. I can't even imagine. I will be praying for you guys and your sweet mom. Love you!
Oh Katie...I am so sorry to hear this. My prayers will be with your mom and family. My sister (who is only 40) was diagnosed with breast cancer two years ago. It's not a fun road, but as you said, it's a time to laugh, reflect, and be STRONG!!
Love ya girl.
~Tennille
Katie, I just checked out your blog and saw this news. Having had my own mother go through this, I know hard it is! It's okay to cry. It's okay to be worried about the unknown, but just like you said, Heavenly Father has a plan. Your family is great and I'm sure you will all help each other out. Sorry for this random comment. I just hope it helps. I also run a blog called SoFestive.com and we are starting a new project that benefits moms with cancer. In honor of my mom (who eventually passed away from liver cancer), we want to help families by providing a free gift basket including fun things that families can do together to create wonderful memories together. Would your family be interested? If so, shoot me an email mel@sofestive.com. We'd love to put something together for you. xoxo
Post a Comment