Wednesday, December 5, 2012

advent calendar complete!









When I laid my eyes on this wooden beauty and the craft store, I just knew I had to get my hands on it and make a Christmas advent calendar that would last the test of time. After many trips to craft/scrapbook store, painting, embellishing, and toiling away at each little square drawer... it is finally complete (and hey, I'm only 6 days into December... not a total wash this year:)!  So far, it's a big hit with Tatum.

I filled each drawer with candy, but also with the following scripture references (found via here).

Story, Reference, Characteristic of Christ
1      Jarius’ Daughter raised,  Luke 8:41-56, Was compassionate
2      Sinful woman forgiven,  Luke 7:36-50, Was forgiving
3      Nobleman’s son healed, John 4:46-53, Had power to heal
4      Temple cleansed, John 2:13-17, Was reverent and opposed to evil
5      Storm calmed, Mark 4:35-41, Had power over elements
6      Children blessed, Mark 10:13-16, Loved children
7      Savior dined with Mary & Martha Luke, 10:38-42, Made people happy
8      Savior suffered in Garden of Gethsemane,  Luke 22:41-45, Was Submissive
9      Apostles’ feet washed,  John 13:3-17, Was humble
10      Apostles chosen,   Luke 6:12-13, Was prayerful
11      Christ’s wisdom advanced, Luke 2:51-52, Obeyed parents
12      Christ baptized,   Matthew 3:13-17, Obeyed God’s law
13      Sermon on the Mount,  Matthew 5:2-16, Gave counsel
14      Christ in the temple,  Luke 2:42-49, Taught when twelve years old
15      The Lord’s prayer,  Matthew 6:9-13, Taught proper way to pray
16      Parable of the Sower,  Luke 8:5-16,Taught with stories
17      Parable of the Lost Sheep, Luke 15:4-7, Helped sinners
18      Story of the Good Samaritan, Luke 10:29-36, Was kind
19      Promised the Comforter, John 14:26-27,      Promised the Holy Ghost
20      Fishes and loaves shared, Matthew 14:15-21,      Performed miracles
21      Story of Lazarus,  John 11:40-44, Raised the dead
22      Mary’s visitation,  Luke 1:26-33, Is the Son of the Highest
23      Christ’s Birth,   Luke 2:1-11, Fulfilled prophesy
24      Shepherds visited & Wisemen brought gifts,  Matthew 2:9-13 & Luke 2:12-16, Was worshipped as Savior

We planned several family activities too throughout the month and placed the activity in specific drawers.  A few on our list: movie night, gingerbread houses, ice skating, temple square lights, gift-exchange shopping, visit grandparents, and a game night!

Supplies: wood tree calendar (Bennion Crafts) : paper/embellishments ("All Is Bright" line by My Mind's Eye) : white-wash paint, string, paper doilies, mod podge, glitter glue, sponge brush, glue dots, sand paper, and lots and lots of time!

1 comment:

Dave and Kristin Dirkmaat said...

Love it!!! I'm doing this too except with material like the Pottery Barn Christmas tree advent calendar. Wish I was done, mine is taking forever! At least it can be used for a really long time right?