This quote has brought me some comfort the last several weeks. God truly does work in mysterious ways. Just when I thought my life was going along smoothly and everything was in it's right place, the Lord stopped me in my tracks and simple asked, "Will you obey and follow me?"
It's an odd feeling knowing I won't be headed into work tomorrow. It's officially my first week home, full-time. It's been a bitter sweet journey making the decision to leave KSL. A huge leap of faith. But, a higher power has something different in store for me (and a new door will open new opportunities). I have thoroughly enjoyed my time there and have learned an unsurmountable depth of knowledge in a field I love. I have worked hard for my career over the last five years and I will take away many skills, memories, and friends. But as hard as it is to leave, I get to be home with my sweet boy everyday. And maybe it's the Lord's way of simply saying, there's a time and a season for all things... slow down and simplify your life. I can't help but think of Elder Uchtdorf's General Conference talk in October:
Let’s be honest; it’s rather easy to be busy. We all can think up a list of tasks that will overwhelm our schedules. Some might even think that their self-worth depends on the length of their to-do list. They flood the open spaces in their time with lists of meetings and minutia—even during times of stress and fatigue. Because they unnecessarily complicate their lives, they often feel increased frustration, diminished joy, and too little sense of meaning in their lives.
(Dieter F. Uchtdorf, "Of Things That Matter Most", Oct. 2010 LDS General Conference)
Or Elder Faust's sweet words to his Granddaughters:
But, my dear granddaughters, you cannot do everything well at the same time. You cannot be a 100 percent wife, a 100 percent mother, a 100 percent church worker, a 100 percent career person, and a 100 percent public-service person at the same time. How can all of these roles be coordinated?...“The only answer I come up with is that you can have it sequentially. At one stage you may emphasize career, and at another marriage and nurturing young children, and at any point you will be aware of what is missing. If you are lucky, you will be able to fit everything in.”
Doing things sequentially—filling roles one at a time at different times—is not always possible, as we know, but it gives a woman the opportunity to do each thing well in its time and to fill a variety of roles in her life.
(James E. Faust, "A Message to my Granddaughters: Becoming Great Women," Ensign, Sept. 1986, 16)
So as I embark on this new journey and new role, I take comfort in knowing that I obediently took a leap of faith when I didn't have all the answers, and now I wait to see what's in store...
9 comments:
You're a rockstar. Life is full of tough choices like this, don't you think? Having worked while Ellie was a baby, I can tell you these these three little things: 1) Some days, you will really miss the working thing- it feels so good to contribute and to nurture human relationships and personal skills and talents. It's hard to let those things go. 2) you won't be as rested and unbusy as you think you will be. Staying home is a lot of work- in my opinion, harder, longer work than going out to work. 3) it will be the best decision you've ever made. I promise! It will feel so good to you to not miss out on those little things you were inevitably missing while working. It will also feel so good for you to just be devoted to being 100% mom, instead of being torn all the time as I'm sure you were. You are going to love it.
Hats off to you, beautiful girl! Can't wait to hear about your new adventures :) hug.
good luck katie! i can somewhat relate- tyler really really wants this to be my last year coaching, and it probably will be. the thought of being 'just a mom' scares me- but I know it will be great. Or at least I hope so! =) you are such a cute mom though. little tate and lucy totally need to have a play date!
What a big decision! I can tell you loved and were very good at what you did, so I can imagine how hard that was... but I imagine you're an even better mom:) I've never really worked since becoming a mom aside from my photography, so I don't know how it was to leave a career however I agree with Marce, I think it will be the best decision you ever made. I couldn't imagine missing the moments I get with my boys everyday. The talks were so inspired, I cried as I read the parts you posted. I do believe there is a season for everything and I also believe it's extremely difficult to be 100% at everything all at the same time. I know personally being a mom 100% is hard enough without other things going on, so props to you for simplifying, i know it takes faith. I'm proud of you. I know with how crazy photography has gotten for me I need to read this as well... thanks for sharing. Good luck this week:)
I look up to you for following your feelings. I am sure Tate is so happy to have you around the clock. He is such a handsome lucky guy. It was fun seeing you the other day. love ya
You are amazing! That is a huge sacrifice. Tate is so blessed to have you as his mom. I love that talk by Elder Faust. Thank you so much for sharing it!
P.S. When you get bored out of your mind give me a call. The hardest thing about my first year at home was not having an adult conversation. It can drive you crazy.
Love you girl.
I have read pres. Uchtdorf's recent conference message often lately-such a needed message.
Love this post.
Sis, this post is so well written and couldn't have been said any better. I personally know that as this door closed with KSL, that many doors will open for you ahead. You are motivated and such a talented individual. I know Tate loves every minute with his mom, and I'm happy we can chat anytime of the day now. :) We cannot wait to see you guys next week!
Much love to you all!
I hope you are enjoying your time at home. That seems to be such a hard decision. I have been dealing with it since Daxton was born.....how much to work for your own growth and how much to stay home for your families sake. Glad you feel good about it!
Post a Comment