Saturday, January 9, 2010

Expect the Unexpected

The Lord is slowly trying to teach me to be more faithful, spontaneous, and flexible with my life.  If you know me, I plan things well in advance and like to have everything planned out ahead of time... not a lot of surprises.

I started teaching dance again after a few weeks off.  I felt fine, but when I tried sleeping that night then got up that morning, I was insanely sore and achy all over.  I just thought I must be really out of shape after the holidays.  I took the day off work, hoping things would get better.  I continued to have horrible lower back pain and seizure-like episodes (one of which lasted 45 minutes).  So I missed another day of work.  After talking to my doctor and a few others, it was highly suggested I go to the ER to get checked out.  I thought, "ER... is that really necessary?  I'm just being a wuss and need to suck it up and put on a smile!"  After much debate, we finally decided to make our way to the hospital Thursday evening and ditch our first birth class, of which Chase was grateful.

They admitted me into the hospital, put me in a room and asked me to change into my hospital gown.  Chase and I both said, "What is all the fuss? "  I gave a urine sample then had monitors strapped to my belly.  Over four hours later, we received the following news:  1) The pain I was feeling the last few days were contractions, 2) I had a bladder infection, 3) I was completely thinned out and dilated 2cm and 4) a prelabor test came back positive (basically confirming I could deliver anytime).  We were both scared and a mess of emotion.  How did my care-free pregnancy change so fast?  It was a lot to take-in.  After four shots and some other medications, they released me and we were driving home... in shock.  We were sure glad we went in.

It was an emotional, sleepless night for me.  I had moments of weeping, but then great moments of comfort.  As the news spread to our family and close friends, we were comforted and supported throughout the day.  Our attitudes slowing became uplifted and optimistic.  We went back to the hospital that night for a follow-up appointment and to receive a second steroid shot (to stimulate lung development).  My contractions had basically gone away with the medicine they gave me.  The baby looked really good. Overall, things looked great.  They discharged me and put me on bed rest for a week.  I see my doctor Monday to have her look at things, but most likely I'll be on bed rest until he decides to come.  The overall goal is to keep him cooking for as long as we can!

And my dear, sweet Chase... I'm crying with gratitude for the wonderful man he is in my life.  He has been with me every moment I've needed him.  He's always had more faith than me, and I constantly rely on his strength.  I couldn't have asked for a better partner and rock to get through this with.  If he can make me laugh about the situation and give me great comfort (and lots of favors), he can get me through anything.  Love him.

Expect the unexpected... I guess that automatically comes with kids and LIFE.  I'm looking at the positive and I KNOW things are going to work out just fine.  He's just anxious to get here and start the party!

Thank you for the phone calls, treats, prayers, and support.  We truly are blessed!

Keep you posted...

14 comments:

Dane & McCall said...

Oh Katie I am sorry that you had to go through all that!! I am glad it is better, can't wait to meet the little guy! Loves!

Matt, Meggan & Ty said...

Katie...I'm so glad you got things figured out! My sis in law had preterm labor as well about 2 months before her due date and she ended up going all the way up to her due date. It's amazing what modern medicine can do. Keep me posted though! I'm sorry I missed you're baby shower..how did it go? I was super sad I couldn't go, but we only have one car right now and Matt needed it for work! Hope all is well...and make sure to take it easy!!

Carly said...

Just enjoy all the laying around while you can! Even though i know its harder than it sounds.. you will be fine! and i'm sure your little boy will be so healthy and strong! good luck girly! you are in our prayers!

Danelle said...

I am so sorry to hear this !!! You are in our prayers and I hope everthimg else goes ok , good luck and keep us posted

Ju and Brack said...

Katie-

You said it perfectly. Expect the unexpected. You never know what the Lord has in store for you. I have learned that in many situations in my life but ESPECIALLY when it comes to bearing children! I am so glad that you went to the hospital. I truly believe that you as a mom are given true inspiration for the well being of your child. Trust when you feel something is off, you are most likely right.

I am very glad that you got the shot to stimulate your baby's lungs. I got that at 28 weeks, we tried to get it again before we delivered but I only was able to get 1 shot instead of the 2 because I had to be delivered early. It will help a GREAT deal in how well your baby functions. My babies were born at 31 weeks and breathing room air that same day. Your baby is much further along and WILL continue to cook but I just wanted you to know the shots alone are a big help.

Bedrest is definitely NO fun. I was addicted to the computer while I was down, it was my social interaction. Email me if you need to vent or talk to get through the days. I know the different emotions that come at this time for you. The fear, anticipation, anxiety, etc. Just the unknown is hard. Email me if you need to vent or talk, I so have been there.

I am so excited for you to become a mom. Things will happen they way they are supposed to. Good luck. You will be in my prayers.

-Ju

Karin said...

Katie, I cicked on your blog to see if maybe you put up pictures of Adri to find this story. What a scary experience for you but I am glad everything is looking well. I am glad you went to the ER and they were able to help you. Good luck with everything! I can't wait to see pictures of your little guy.

Karin Shumway

maeveinthecity said...

thinking of you and hoping everything goes well!!

The Smoots said...

Oh my goodness Katie! Like everyone has said, you said it right expect the unexpected. Everything will turn out okay, and yes just enjoy relaxing because once you have that baby there will be none of that. Keep your chin up it will all be over soon! Good luck everything will turn out great. We can't wait to hear the news that your baby has come!

Lacey Jay said...

Hey Katie, I too am glad you went in. The Lord has a crazy way of taking care of us sometimes. I pray he gets here healthy and not so soon;) Let me know if you need any magazines or books for bed rest and I'll send them your way!

Bryan and Allie said...

You have no idea how bad I wish I were in Utah right now! The news first brought shock, but then as I prayed that night I felt comfort that everything was going to be ok. Be sure to take it easy this next week. You don't want to over do it. Keep going strong.

Love you.

Mike and Lindsey Martineau said...

We love you guys and you are in our prayers often!

Marci Joy said...

Still thinking about you. Love you.

Brian & Chelsey said...

this is Chelsey, Sara's (codys wife) sis...so scary when things like that happen!! I had my kiddo 12 weeks early...that was the scariest thing I have EVER been through! But like you said keep looking at the positive and KNOW things will work out! That and keep that awesome hubby of yours around! :) Its all those things for me that made me know that my son would be all right and that everything would be all right! and he is! you wouldnt know that he was 12 weeks early (he's 6 mons now!) Good luck and KNOW that everything will be OK!! :) I will keep you guys in my prayers!

Joe said...

Oh girlfriend! I'm so glad that you and the baby are okay. Your post was wonderful and a great reminder to just take things as they come - one day at a time. When this baby comes your life with change forever for the best! Let me know if you need anything. I'm serious!