I'm humbled today for a fabulous weekend filled with so many great experiences.
Friday: I've worked at the Utah Food Bank before, but this year it really hit me on how many people and organizations rely on the food bank to provide basic needs for those in our state. The KSL TV and Radio promotion teams filled and labeled bags with spaghetti to distribute to the community.
Saturday: Our youth group and a few of the Oborn's helped at the Frodsham Community Christmas, an event that provides a meal, clothing, toys, food and other necessities to the homeless. Hundreds of volunteers ushered-in bus loads of people and helped them get what they needed. Horse and carriage rides and Santa put a smile on the children's faces. I teared up when I saw a sweet girl clutching a small doll and blanket she received... it was worth gold to her. It was simply a magical day to see everyone coming together to help those less fortunate. I am truly blessed.
Sunday: Kallie helped organize a Sub for Santa for a family that was turned away from the state. They recently moved from Idaho with $200 to their name. The mother has scoliosis and Parkinson's disease, thus having difficultly obtaining a job. The father works construction. They have a 16-year-old boy and 6-year-old boy. Within a day, we were able to get the details on this family, take a look at their needs, and make it happen. Friday, we all shopped for the family; Saturday, we wrapped the presents; Last night, we delivered the gifts to the family. We sang "We wish you a Merry Christmas" and the parents wept with gratitude. They hugged each of us and thank us through teary eyes. We left their home with the greatest feeling of joy, gratitude and humility. We could only imagine the smiles on their faces Christmas morning.
As I reflect on this past weekend, it truly has humbled and inspired me to serve more. I've realized I NEED to incorporate more of these things into my life each year, especially around the holidays. I hope this upcoming year I can appreciate the small and simple things. I pray I can never take for granted the basic things I have. I hope I can always look for ways to be more giving... more patient... more respectful of "things."
I'm grateful for this holiday season and the opportunity we have to reflect on all the Lord has done for us. He was the true example of charity, and for that, I'm eternally grateful. I hope we can all spend these next few days grateful for the many great things that surround us: our families. our friends. our homes. our faith.
3 comments:
thanks for the tear jerking reminder of what matters most . . .
What an awesome summary of a service oriented weekend. I know when I serve I always feel so much more grateful for what I have and the ability to help others. You are a beautiful daughter.
I completely understand where you are coming from. Thanks for the reminder, its always good to read of our close friends and family in service of our fellow man. We love you guys!
Post a Comment